Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blog 4a

4a

Seth Godin’s “Brainwashed” can be found at www.changethis.com.

For this blog entry we were asked to read the article I have linked to above and analyze two of the different layers mentioned in the article.
The first layer that we are asked to analyze is the "Acknowledging the Lizard". This is a statement that until this point I had never heard before but after reading more about it, I realized how important it is in my day-to-day life especially as a media major at Ohio University. Godin speaks of this lizard as a sort of blockade in between one being creative and one conforming to the brainwashing and normal life that everyone else lives. It is when we are able to acknowledge this "lizard" and work towards actively ignoring it that we can be successful and not affected by the resistance that is placed upon us by others.

The second layer that I am choosing to talk about is "Connect". I have always been one that has tried to keep up on the latest social network trends using Facebook and Twitter as well as many other social sites like Flickr, Tumblr, Vimeo, and Youtube. Through these sites I have been able to connect with other people who have similar interests as I do and do similar things. As I read more about connecting, I felt like I was successful in using this to my advantage instead of just getting sucked in and using it to hang out with friends online. By using these sites, it allows me to connect with others who value media like I do and allows me to view and criticize their work while they can do the same with mine. There are many people who create content to share on the internet with other people just for the sake of being creative and sharing their talents and not doing it for any profit or recognition. I have learned quite a bit from these people who have shared their talents with complete strangers and it has inspired me to also share my talents with others as I can when I can.

I recommend reading the entire article for more tips that can help as one is looking to enter into a media career or for those already in a media profession to keep being successful and learn even more.

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely right about being connected, Sam! Nice reflection...

    ReplyDelete